If you happen to travel to Shanghai, China and pick up a China Unicom sim card to use with an unlocked GSM phone, the following might be handy:

  • Dialing to the United States is mildly expensive on this service, but is slightly cheaper using the “17911” service that routes the call using VoIP. Dial with something like this: 17911+001+Area+Number.
  • You get a telephone number to go with the card. Dialing this number from the US would be something like: 011-86-13167012345.
  • The customer service number is 1013089 and the complaints number is 10010.
  • Wap can be enabled by talking to the customer service people at 1013089.
  • The card may be recharged by calling 1013088.